Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Michigan Brewers Guild Summer Festival Tap List Preview Part 1

With only days until the Summer Festival kicks off, I thought I'd take a quick look at the currently posted tap list on the MBG blog The Mash (the link is sometimes broken, so keep trying or try back later if that is the case). It's a list of over 400 beers, so I'd like to just highlight the ones that catch my eye. Keep in mind that, in most of these cases, I am going off brewer reputation and name of beer only and am making bold ass predictions.

Cereal Killer Barley Wine (Arcadia) - This isn't a new brew, but I'm always interested in barley wines, especially year-to-year.

Coconut Porter (Bad Bear) - I'm not usually one for coconut, so I'm going to challenge my taste buds to see if I can stomach it in porter form. I think that coconut and mild toffee porter flavors could potentially be disastrous. I have been wrong before...

Tripel Shandy (Big Rock Chop and Brewhouse) - Shandy is one of those words that has been thrown around a lot, so let's clarify. Shandy has carbonated lemonade (or cider, lemon soda, etc...). A Tripel is a strong pale Belgian ale. So what we might get here is a strong Belgian style carbonated lemonade flavored beer. This sounds like a lot of sweet/sour flavors battling it out. On a side note: is their Sour Cherry Tripel a "Sour Cherry" Tripel or a Cherry Tripel sour beer?

All of the Brews at Copper Canyon - They have such an intricate and specific tap time for all their brews. Is that really necessary?

Framboozled (Corner Brewery) - I am giving a local shout out to a framboise that might be interesting.

Millichigan Potable Oat Wine (Picked at random from Dark Horse) - Dark Horse hates lines. If this is your first festival, Dark Horse has a booth at every freaking tent so you'll probably never have to wait. As a consequence, they have exactly a billion taps. This one sticks out because... well... I picked it at random. Malted oat wine does sound interesting though, considering you'd make it with little to no barley.

Under the Kilt Wee Heavy (Dragonmead) - I've never had the opportunity to put different levels of Scotch ale next to each other and taste them. Wee heavy is the heaviest by ABV, so I'll settle for one good one. It has to live up to Skullsplitter at least.

Head On Collision Black IPA (Fenton Winery & Brewery) - This aggravates me. How can it be a Black India Pale Ale?!?!?! Terrible! Stop calling things black IPAs!

Made it through the Fs. Now I need a drink. Be back soon with the rest of the list. In the meantime, are there any that strike your fancy?


4 comments:

  1. The blog BeerScribe made some interesting observations regarding the name "Black IPA". Then again, he seems to be in the minority if you look at the vote at the end of the article.

    http://www.beerscribe.com/2010/09/01/the-black-ipa-problem/

    After several attempts at trying sour ales, i've decided i just don't like them. I'll stick to trying those coconut porters, barley wines and scotch ales that you've already highlighted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bottle of Corner's Velvet Hammer Sour Brown Ale '04 and had trouble reconciling the flavor with some of the smells. Wet Dog is unappealing in a beer.

      Delete
  2. The scary Jesus Rockstar from Darkhorse is number one on my list, not only does the name delight me, but it comes highly recommended from a friend in Marshall. And you mention the coconut porter from Bad Bear and not the Bacon porter?
    As always looking forward to another Beerfest, we will see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually am looking forward to the bacon porter as well. Can't wait!

      Delete